Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Costa Rica part 1



We spent a wonderful week in Playa Grande, Costa Rica. It is about 1 hour away from the Liberia airport. The area was quite rural with cows, goats and horses around every turn (and often in the middle of the road!)

We went with our in-laws the Justice's and Carlos's mom Alba. We had such fun family time. We spent all day playing with each other because we had no TV and one van for travel. Those factors insured plenty of togetherness!

Costa Rica is known for it's surfing, especially on the Pacific side. The water was warm, the sand was squishy, and had lots of shells. Abby was in heaven!











Somehow we were even able to talk our cautious Abby into giving it a try. The first couple of times she loved it, but by the time we got the camera out there her face was telling another story!




The beach had yards and yards of shallow water where the kids were able to run around and play on their own. Charlie was fearless! A wave would knock him on his face, and he would get back up and keep going.







Every once in a while I like to prove I was on the trip by taking a self photo.


Abby really bonded with her Tia Claudia. She always wanted to sit next to her in the van and dinner, and basically followed her around.





Oh look, I really was there!


Mamita loved all the FRUIT! She spent lots and lots of time in the produce section picking out fruit that simply is not available here in the states. I tried lots of new things. My favorite was called grenadia otherwise known as "snot fruit." It was really disgusting looking, but very tasty.
I think Carlos and Claudia were most excited about the green mangos. One day we pulled over on the side of the road, picked about two dozen little unripe mangos off off the tree. When we got home we cubed them and ate them with salt. I am being completely honest when I say they were the MOST sour thing I have ever eaten in my life! Claudia and Carlos just could not get enough. I think ate them out of peer pressure!


On the way back into town one day we decided to stop in the nicer grocery store, unfortunately we had all the kids with us. They were pretty much driving us crazy as we tried to stock up on the essentials for the rest of the week. Uncle Jared rounded them all up, bought them all an ice cream, and then lined them up on the floor. I rounded the corner and saw this! It was much funnier in real life!






Somehow the day always ended like this for Charlie!



The house was really open with critters always crawling across the floor. Carlos noted that when you sit still, the ground was always moving. Mamita taught Abby that the hermit crabs do not pinch, so Abby started collecting them. Daily she would get a pair of tongs and a pot and collect crabs. She would name them, feed them, and play with them. Who would have thunk it???

There are a ton of pictures I need to get from Jared and Claudia. I don't have any pictures of the zip-line canopy tour that we took. It was amazing and SO FUN! So stayed tuned!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

That looks awesome! I esp. love the photo with your footprints, and also the one with Alba holding Abby in the waves. Way cute. Looks like a great time!

Caroline said...

Joshua was next to me while I was reading and said "I want to go to the beach!" Looks like you guys had a blast!

Steve and Kelli Fam said...

This is me not being jealous!!! Oh man what a fantastic trip. We'll have to totally grill you on everything because Steve is dying to go. Sorry your flight home was eventful in a not so great way but it looked like a fabulous trip. where did you get the surf board? Did you rent it or take it?

Jen Rutter said...

It looks like such a fun place to go! Stewart and I are headed there next spring, your photos have made me so excited!

Teresa said...

There's something so cute about little baby buttocks. (Thanks for sharing, Charlie!) All of the photos are neat, and such a great representation of your fabulous trip. Good for you. Glad you had a wonderful time!

Lindsey said...

how fun. Sorry about the haircut, but it still looks beautifiul. :) I can't believe how long it was! That's insane.

Johnson said...

Heather, I have tried to email you, but I do not have your current email address. I am posting this on an old post so that Wendy will not see it. (plus she has already commented) So, we are haivng the HIlls over for lunch on Sunday after conference. I am making chicken enchiladas and she is brining a salad. She does not know that I am also trying to get a few friend together and have cake and ice cream to celebrate her b-day. I don't know if you have plans on Sunday (I know that you have family around), but if you don't, we would love to have you guys. I also have a pack n' play if Charlie needs to take a nap. If you do come, you are welsome to bring an additional side dish, or nothing at all. Either way, we would love to have you guys! Email me back please when you get this. lplauche@gmail.com Gracias!