Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pretty Pretty Princess

Last fall Mama Virginia (Papa Carlos's mother) visited from El Salvador. This was her first visit to this country, and her first time on an airplane. I have two lasting memories for that visit.

1. I realized that no matter how hard I fought it, my son was going to be named Carlos. I did not understand a word the woman said, but I did pick up on the fact that she continually referred to the baby in my belly as Carlitos. The pressure was thick!



2. That all little girls in El Salvador must be princesses. Mama V had a dress made for Abby before her visit. It was really big for Abby back then, so I hung the dress in the back of the closet. This week Abby found where I was hiding it. . . and this morning insisted on wearing the gift. I cannot tell you how many comments we got today on her pretty pretty princess dress. Abby could not have been more pleased!




ps. on another topic: the garden that Abby and I planted this spring, although struggling in the Georgia heat, is producing a steady stream of tomatoes. Abby loves check on the garden every day. She is quite proud.

1 comment:

MAnderson said...

OH.
MY.
GOSH.

The contest is OVER! Abby is OFFICIALLY the prettiest princess forever and ever, amen.

I'm pretty sure she needs to wear it the next time I'm there. Doesn't matter if she's 15 - just keep adding fabric....let it grow with her.

And save me a tomato.